Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Surely, Samsung’s Response to The Burnt Galaxy S4 Incident is Unacceptable

We can never expect everything in this world to be absolutely perfect. Whether you like it or not, there will come a time when you will be faced with a far-from-perfect reality that will test you to your limits. And sometimes, because the adversity is too much for us to bear, we tend to just accept them as part of life. Where am I leading you on this, you ask? Well, it is in our very nature to create an ideal world in our minds where nothing ever goes wrong. We have a propensity to trust too much that everything we deal with is done in good faith.

Even the tech giants that we so much look up to aren’t perfect, you know. We often feel confident that there is nothing they can do that will lessen our opinion of them, especially if they are the likes of Apple or Samsung. But then again, nothing’s perfect. They may express the guarantee of satisfaction to their customers, but at the end of the day, those words are nothing more than a facade of make believes.

Actually, it’s no longer a surprise that there are cases where consumer electronics combust. This article is not to single out one company because this already had happened to various mobile phones and tablets from Samsung, Apple, and other manufacturers. God forbid that you be the one who is going to receive the defective device, but if it so happened that it comes straight to your possession, it’s the company’s responsibility to investigate the matter carefully and set it right professionally. But with just what one Samsung consumer experienced with his Galaxy S4, it appears that Samsung has to learn the basics in dealing with its customers the hard way.

Initially, what the disgruntled customer did was he had a YouTube video posted behind the username GhostlyRich (who is not the actual owner of the device), showing that his Galaxy S4 caught on fire while it was plugged in to charge overnight. He was awakened in the middle of the night by the nauseating smell of burning electronics. Hastily, he unplugged the device from the outlet before the damage turns into a conflagration as soon as he discovered the smoking phone.

The video immediately caught the attention of Samsung. Thereafter, the smartphone company sent a letter to the affected consumer, stating that it would swap out the man’s charred and now useless Galaxy S4, which was still under warranty, only if he removed the video discussing the matter from YouTube.

The letter clearly shows the intent of the sender to bully who seems to be its greatest asset—its customer. More infuriated than ever, GhostlyRich once again posted a video tackling the response of Samsung to the incident. Because it’s so intriguing, it had now garnered more than 400,000 views. This is definitely something that will damage the reputation of the world-renowned company. The most that it can get out of this experience is the knowledge on how to deal with this kind of matter if in any case it ever happens again.

No comments:

Post a Comment